Learning through movement and physical expression
The WRA dance program is dedicated to providing varieties of formal training and ample performance opportunities for students of all levels. A goal of the program is to develop and enhance the mind-body connection as we believe dance challenges the mind and body to work in partnership.
We invite you to take a glance at our course offerings, led by our two Dance faculty members, Director of Dance Katie Velbeck and Assistant Director of Dance Ali Anzaldi '13.
Dance: This full-year course is for students who have no, minimal or intermediate dance experience. Dance is a performance art that incorporates mind and body. It takes discipline, dedication and hard work. The main focus of the course will be technique, which gives students a strong foundation for dance. Students will be given the opportunity to work on their technique in the areas of ballet, modern, jazz and hip hop.
Honors Dance: Students must audition prior to enrolling in this course, which is a full-year course. Honors Dance is for students with substantial dance experience, which includes strong technical ability and training in the areas of ballet, modern and jazz. There will also be opportunities to experience other forms of dance such as pointe, tap and contemporary. While studying technique, the learning, understanding and practice of dance vocabulary is stressed.
Program and Facility Highlights:
- Our dancers take part in two annual dance productions; our Fall Dance Performance and our Spring Dance Performance.
- We practice in a spacious, barre- and mirror-lined studio
- Our performances take place in our 400-seat fully equipped theater, complete with lighting and sound
- We offer additional opportunities for students to take work shops and attend professional performances
- There is also opportunity for selected students to create and perform choreography for the second performance of the year, our Spring Dance Performance