Pioneering academic excellence.
Western Reserve Academy has been ranked the No.1 independent school in Ohio and among the country’s top boarding schools. Our students know that our great purpose is discovering theirs.
WRA is undergoing the single largest transformation of its academic program in the school’s history. It’s more exciting than ever to be a part of our learning community. We are building on nearly 200 years of excellence by refining our academic vision for 21st-century learners and continuing our pioneering ethos with an independent curriculum, including the move beyond AP classes.
WRA's longstanding tradition of academic rigor is balanced by our passion to provide a curriculum that is dynamic and distinctive, integrating new ways of teaching and learning.
- Kate Mueller, Associate Head of School
Our academic program builds foundational knowledge and integrates the development of transferrable skills like collaboration, creativity, resilience, critical thinking, problem solving, initiative and entrepreneurship. Compelling courses and Signature Programs, led by our dedicated and impassioned faculty, give our students transformational experiences and prepare them for success in college and life.
Western Reserve Academy’s innovative independent curriculum is on the cutting-edge of a college-prep curriculum.
–Jefferson Burnett, Senior Vice President for Innovation, National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
This exciting new chapter at WRA is built around distinctive curricular offerings including:
- An independent curriculum featuring College Level courses, our new highest level courses at WRA. View our Academic Course Descriptions 2017–18 or a full list of our 2017–18 course offerings.
- New Digital Literacies for freshmen, where you learn to code and make in our state-of-the-art makerspace, The Center for Technology, Innovation & Creativity.
- A daily schedule designed for deeper learning, labs, group work, research and projects. The new schedule is a seven-day rotating schedule with four meetings per course every seven-day cycle. Each class period is 75 minutes in length and most students will have four classes each weekday. The schedule features a built in Academic Plus (A+) period of one hour when no classes are scheduled. This time is for community, collaboration, guest speakers, extra help and study.
- Signature Programs including Compass, Saturday Academy and Beyond Reserve.
We value your expectation that a WRA education is something different and extraordinary. You can go anywhere to learn. You come to Reserve to soar.
Pioneers embrace the unknown with courage and purpose. Inspiring college-bound students, WRA's independent curriculum catalyzes deeper learning and curiosity. Building on essential knowledge, our students take intellectual and creative risks, seeking to engage meaningfully with the world. Mentored by a talented, dedicated faculty, students develop knowledge, skills, and literacies in all academic departments while striving for excellence, exploring intellectual passions, and engaging in collaborative and individual inquiry. In a school culture of continuous improvement, WRA students pursue the questions how and why to discover what they will pioneer.