A World Ahead: Pioneering Academics
Every student has a story. At WRA, our distinctive academic program ensures that every Pioneer's fullest story can be told. Our renowned curriculum enables students to unlock their unique talents, passions and purpose through unrivaled opportunities for for creativity and innovation. It's an apporach that prepares our students for their next great chapter in an ever-changing world full of promise...a world ahead.
The WRA Difference
The Reserve Academic Advantage includes these points of distinction:
- Our independent curriculum, including our move beyond Advanced Placement courses and a daily schedule built for balance
- Creative courses that invite both a mastery of the fundamentals and a genuine love of learning, including classes not available anywhere else in the country at the high school level, including Cancer Immunology and College Level Microbiology
- A new interdisciplinary department of Integrated Studies and Design (ISD), supporting every Pioneer in a passion project that distinguishes their academic experience and differentiates them in the college admission process
- Access to internships with world-renowned research institutions such as the Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve University as part of our Beyond Reserve program
- The Wang Innovation Center, our new 6,000-square-foot innovation space equipped with every state-of-the-art tool to take projects from concept through completion
- A compassionate and esteemed faculty, 88% who live on campus for around-the-clock access and support
- A College Counseling Office that takes the time to know every student and their unique strengths while building significant relationships with the country's best colleges
- Thorough knowledge of opportunities for external distinction (like National Merit designation, Scholastic Writing Awards, publication in scholarly journals) that give our students an edge in the college application process
Pioneers embrace the unkown with courage and purpose. WRA's independent curriculum inspires college-bound students and catalyzes deeper learning and curiosity. Building on essential knowledge, our students take intellectual and creative risks, seeking to engage meaningfully with the world. Mentored by a talented, dedicated faculty, students develop knowledge, skills and literacies in traditional and modern disciplines, while striving for excellence, exploring intellectual passions and engaging in collaborative and individual inquiry. In a school culture of continuous improvement, WRA students pursue the questions how and why to discover what they will pioneer.
|WHAT IS COLLEGE LEVEL?|
All courses at Western Reserve Academy are college preparatory with the highest level courses being designated as College Level (CL).
In 2017, WRA moved away from Advanced Placement (AP) courses to allow for more flexibility, collaboration and deeper subject exploration. Our independent curriculum allows talented faculty, who are experts in their disciplines, to create distinctive courses that challenge our most motivated and accomplished students.
CL courses require rigorous engagement, hone critical skills and demand increased student ownership of learning. The intellectual discourse in the CL classroom is sophisticated, nuanced, and responsive to a changing world and student curiosity. CL courses provide opportunities to demonstrate depth of understanding through a variety of assessments.
WHAT IS ISD?
Beginning in the 2019-20 school year WRA introduces a new multi-disciplinary department created to hone creativity, passion and skill for living healthy and happy lives.
United by a Pioneering ethos, a trio of self-directed study options - Compass, GPS (Guided Project of Significance) and MAP (Making, Asking/Articulating, Producing/Performing), ask every Pioneer to pursue a passion or unlock a new opportunity on the path to wellness and an expanded worldview.
ISD also includes courses that invite every student to explore the abundant opportunities inside our Wang Innovation Center, including Learning to Make, with its focus on critical thinking, entrepreneurship, communication and collaboration.
How does this equip our students for success? It gives them a more enriching high school journey and distinguishes them in the college application process. And, most important, it prepares them for life.