With azure skies overhead and abundant greenery providing shade over Brick Row, we enter the summer season with satisfaction from another successful and action-packed school year.
Before the 2021-2022 academic year becomes too distant of a memory, it's worth pausing for a moment to reflect on all that has taken place. In the face of continued challenges presented by COVID-19 and other obstacles, our Pioneers prevailed. They balanced schoolwork, athletics, performances, friendships, involvements and more.
Above all else, our Pioneers never lost sight of the things that make them come alive. Whether their passions are found on the field, in the classroom or on the stage — whether it comes in the form of national recognition, a year-long passion project, or a new student club — our students gave us so many reasons to be proud.
There were too many fantastic feats achieved by our student body over the past year to list each one by name, so this list is truly an abbreviated one! But as we looked back, we recognized a fun pattern — call it an ode to "12 Days of Christmas" or, more accurately, 12 Ways We're Proud of our Pioneers!
By the Numbers
- 1 National Merit Scholarship Winner (Ella B. '22)
- 2 New School Records for Girls Track (4x200 relay & Sprint Medley)
- 3 National History Day State Champions (juniors Sumedha M., Ela M., Annie N.)
- 4 All-Americans in Wrestling (Calvin W. '24, Evan. A '22, Matt H '24., Sam C. '23)
- 5 Aspiring Artists in the Class of 2022 (musicians, filmmakers, studio artists)
- 6 goals scored by WRA Hockey in their Baron Cup Championship Win
- 7 students receive Departmental Honors in Mandarin Chinese
- 8 students earn Outstanding Delegate/Attorney awards at Regional Mock Trial
- 9 members of Boys Lacrosse named All-Midwest (including MSLA Coach of Year)
- 10 swimmers qualified for Eastern Championship Meet
- 11 total National Merit Scholarship Recognitions, including Commended Scholars
- 12 students earned white coats for completing Cancer Immunology courses
Other notable triumphs include Alex Newman '24 earning 3rd place in Shining Star CLE singing contest, Jazira Gonzalez '24 competing for the Puerto Rico U17 Girls National Team and four Gold Medal Award winners: seniors Nathan Phillips (Swimming), Sophia Bluso (Riflery), Blake Eiland (Boys Lacrosse) and Josie Spano (Softball).
While this list and article indicate the variety of endeavors at which our students excel, there are undeniably far more accomplishments than we could mention that deserve recognition. Personal goals, personal bests, and personal growth are exactly that – personal.
We may not know about every individual moment of success in a student's journey through Reserve, but we do know how proud we are of the way that our students pursue their passions and forge meaningful relationships with those around them.
To each and every one of our amazing students, we say congratulations on everything you accomplished this year, and thank you for allowing us to cheer you on.