A year concludes and bright futures begin.
Western Reserve Academy's 183rd Commencement will take place on Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 10:30 a.m. The Commencement Ceremony is the culmination of the hard work, dedication and passion that WRA students have put into their high school experiences. This year's Commencement speaker is Matthew J. Wilson, President of The University of Akron.
Where is commencement held?
Commencement takes place on the lawn in front of the Chapel. Students will process from the Loomis Observatory, down College Street then up the sidewalk in front of the Chapel. The ceremony runs approximately two hours. Afterward, refreshments will be served under the tent behind the Chapel.
Are tickets required and is there a limit to how many guests can attend?
No. Tickets are not required to attend Commencement, and we do not limit the number of guests that attend.
Is there reserved seating for Commencement?
No. Seats are reserved only for the graduates. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
What about parking?
Family and guests are encouraged to park off Chapel Street on the lawn as well as at the Murdough Athletic Center. Parking attendants will direct traffic and parking. College Street, between Baldwin and Hudson Street will be closed. Parking is not permitted on Brick Row. Handicapped parking will be available on College Street.
Is there a lost-and-found on campus?
Lost items will be turned in to the Security Office in Metcalf Building. Inquiries about lost articles can be made in person or by calling 330-650-9789.
What happens if it rains?
The rain location for Commencement will be in the Murdough Athletic Center gym, with the reception to be held in the Memorial Gym. View our campus map.
Where are the restrooms located?
Public restrooms will be located by North Hall. Handicapped accessible restrooms, if Commencement is held outside, are available in the Chapel, the Knight Fine Arts Center and the John D. Ong Library.
If you should have questions about Commencement & Year-End Events, please do not hesitate to contact Tracy Schooner in the Head of School’s Office at 330-650-9706 or email@example.com.
- Jude Kearney '76 announced as the 2017 Commencement Speaker — read the full article.
- Seniors Danny Mylott and Joey Randazzo are this year's Commencement Weekend speakers — read the full article.
- Western Reserve Academy graduates the Class of 2017 — read the full article.
Commencement 2017 Photo Slideshow
Senior Celebration 2017 Photo Slideshow
Senior Celebration 2017 Live Stream Video
- Dr. John M. McCardell Jr. to speak at 2016 Commencement
- Senior class selects Niraj Naik and Max Borrmann as end of year speakers
- The Class of 2016 officially departs as graduates of WRA
Class of 2016 Prize Winners
- THE BICKNELL PRIZE | Max B. Borrmann
- THE ROBINSON PRIZE | Michael J. Zeleznik
- JOHN W. HALLOWELL AWARD | Yuki Yamasaki
- HARLAN N. WOOD AWARD | Haiyun Chen
- KEIR V. MARTICKE ’02 MEMORIAL PRIZE | Taryn E. Washburn
- ANGUS M. FREW AWARD | Samuel L. LaFontaine
- HEAD OF SCHOOL AWARD | Cristen C. Barnett, Ajay Dakappagari, Ann C. McArn, Rachel A. Morris, Yichen Wang, Shuni Zhu
- ACADEMIC BOOK PRIZES | Lanruo Yang, Xingyu Ha
- TODD C. WEAVER ’89 PREFECT AWARD | Yichen Wang, Yuki Yamasaki
- RACHEL C. SNIDER SPIRIT AWARD | Niraj H. Naik
- FRIENDSHIP TROPHY | Daniel M. Dorman
- CHRISTINE & JOHN BREUKER PRIZE FOR SERVICE | Maria E. Paparella
- TURNBULL ENDEAVOR AWARD | Erin R. Dockery
- DAVID S. DENNISON JR. ’36 AWARD (HISTORY) | Graham M. Sell
- ANNE CHAPMAN PRIZE IN HISTORY | Lanruo Yang
- PETER L. EBERLY ’70 PRIZE (LANGUAGE) | Aekta Chowksey
- ROBERT R. STOLL MATHEMATICS PRIZE | Xingyu Ha
- ROLLIN W. WAITE AWARD IN MATHEMATICS | Tianshuang Wang
- ENGLISH-SPEAKING UNION FELLOWSHIP | Caitlin R. Fogg, Amelia M. Elliott
- PHI BETA KAPPA AWARD | Xingyu Ha
- AKRON BEACON JOURNAL STAR STUDENTS | Michael J. Zeleznik, Taryn E. Washburn
- NEWSCHANNEL 5 BEST OF THE CLASS | Michael J. Zeleznik, Rachel A. Morris
- NATIONAL MERIT SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS | Niraj H. Naik, Michael J. Zeleznik