Pioneering new frontiers and experiences
Beyond Reserve is a collection of elite, intensive summer opportunities for top students to gain practical experience working in real-world settings with alumni and friends of the school. These opportunities are largely exclusive to students at WRA. Beyond Reserve allows top students to find programs that align with their passions and provide experiences beyond our current curriculum and faculty, making these opportunities truly transformational.
The experience was incredible. It's something that could never be simulated through a class.
- Sam '16, on his Beyond Reserve experience with the Cleveland Indians
Recent Beyond Reserve opportunities included:
- A three-week medical research experience at Baylor College Medical Center
- Genetic research and real-world lab experience at Case Western Reserve University's Genetic Research Program
- Design and manufacturing immersion with The Nanz Company
- Performing on stage and working behind the scenes with accomplished artists through Nightingale Opera Theater
- Performing lab work and engaging in cancer research at Cleveland Clinic's Breast Cancer Institute
- Immersion into Major League Baseball operations and marketing with the Cleveland Indians
- Exploring professional filmmaking with a video production company, The Story Is
- Gaining authentic journalism and publishing experience with Record Publishing
Caterham School Exchange Program
WRA is proud to participate in an exchange program with the Caterham School in Surrey, England. Through an application process, approximately 10 students are selected by the History Department to participate in the exchange each year. In June, WRA students travel to Surrey to attend classes with their student hosts. Time is also set aside for participants to visit sites of interest throughout England. In turn, WRA students host Caterham students during the school year.
Ellen C. Long Study Abroad (ELISA) Program
ELISA is a fully-funded summer home stay program of language immersion and cultural enrichment offered to qualified WRA students. The program is intended for sophomore students who have successfully completed a second year of language study and who have best exemplified the spirit of Ellen C. Long through their performance, effort and keen interest in the language and culture.
Ellen C. Long demonstrated a life-long commitment to building bridges among cultures and peoples through her dedication, sensitivity to and appreciation of different languages and cultures. Thanks to the support and the generous donation of Dr. Dixon Long '51, ELISA has traveled to Costa Rica, France, Taiwan, Italy and Germany.
International Summer Science School | Heidelberg, Germany
The most selective Beyond Reserve program, the International Summer Science School offers our top students a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work at world-renowned science institutions, such as the Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics and the German Cancer Research Center.
Interacting with people with different cultural backgrounds was truly one of the most valuable and exciting parts.
-Katy '17, on her trip to Heidelberg in 2016
Read the Beyond Reserve Blog to find out what the students had to say about their 2017 summer opportunities.
For more information about Beyond Reserve or to provide ideas for new opportunities, contact Director of Programs John Gordon.