Summer Internships: Beyond Reserve
Pioneering new frontiers and experiences
Beyond Reserve is a collection of elite, intensive summer opportunities for top students to gain practical experience working in real-world settings with alumni and friends of the school. These opportunities are largely exclusive to students at WRA. Beyond Reserve allows top students to find programs that align with their passions and provide experiences beyond our current curriculum and faculty, making these opportunities truly transformational.
Recent Beyond Reserve opportunities included:
- A three-week medical research experience at Baylor College Medical Center
- Genetic research and real-world lab experience at Case Western Reserve University's Genetic Research Program
- Design and manufacturing immersion with The Nanz Company
- Performing on stage and working behind the scenes with accomplished artists through Nightingale Opera Theater
- Performing lab work and engaging in cancer research at Cleveland Clinic's Breast Cancer Institute
- Immersion into Major League Baseball operations and marketing with the Cleveland Guardians
- Exploring professional filmmaking with a video production company, The Story Is
- Gaining authentic journalism and publishing experience with Record Publishing
Ellen C. Long Study Abroad (ELISA) Program
ELISA is a fully-funded summer home stay program of language immersion and cultural enrichment offered to qualified WRA students. The program is intended for sophomore students who have successfully completed a second year of language study and who have best exemplified the spirit of Ellen C. Long through their performance, effort and keen interest in the language and culture.
Ellen C. Long demonstrated a life-long commitment to building bridges among cultures and peoples through her dedication, sensitivity to and appreciation of different languages and cultures. Thanks to the support and the generous donation of Dr. Dixon Long '51, ELISA has traveled to Costa Rica, France, Taiwan, Italy and Germany.
The trip was an amazing learning experience. I had a lot of new adventures such as surfing, experiencing the culture of a new country and improving my Spanish. This was an amazing trip and second-to-none."
-Karthik '21, on his trip to Costa Rica
International Summer Science School | Heidelberg, Germany
The most selective Beyond Reserve program, the International Summer Science School offers our top students a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work at world-renowned science institutions, such as the Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics and the German Cancer Research Center.
Read the international student travel blogs here.